Despite reduced funding from central government, the local Lib Dems have consistently worked to protect those in greatest need to help create a fairer society. Localism is at the heart of everything we do. We will continue to ensure that important decisions are not simply left to council officers and that residents have a real voice in local decision-making.
- Prioritise the protection of services for vulnerable residents and fight for fair access to services for rural residents.
- Maintain the Council’s commitment to a living wage and continue to lobby the Council’s suppliers and providers to do the same.
- Empower local communities and residents by ensuring that they have a voice in decision-making through town/parish councils and area forums.
- Continue to support local voluntary groups through area forum grants.
- Look at ways of improving the standards of accommodation available for private tenants.
The local Lib Dems ensured that a proportion of New Homes Bonus money is given to the areas where the new homes have been built, so those that take the pain get the gain.
This is an extract from the Liberal Democrat Vision for South Gloucestershire, our manifesto for the 2015 Local Elections.