South Glos Council has been thinking about the responses to the library consultation earlier this year and has now come up with a new set of proposals. The effects for our area are as follows:
- Savings target reduced from £650,000 to £500,000 (within a budget of £2.6million, so about 20%)
- Staffed opening hours to be reduced by a smaller amount than proposed in consultation phase 1
- "Swipe card" access allowing opening hours to be extended
- Mobile library service to be replaced with community centre based libraries across South Glos
and run by volunteer groups, plus the the esisting home visit service
- Chipping Sodbury Library to be run by volunteers, with professional staff providing background support. The council’s library service would also provide stock and IT support
- Book Fund to be reduced by £81,000 (28%)
There will be a public meeting at Yate library on Tuesday 1 November at 7pm.
The consultation is open until 2 January - please have your say!