There is a rolling programme to convert the lights - Chipping Sodbury and Westerleigh will be converted during March, and other areas will follow. All street lights will be switched to part-night operation except:
- Places where South Glos consider they help mitigate crime and anti-social behaviour, or improve road safety and reduce accidents
- Lights that are important for the operation of council or police CCTV surveillance cameras
- Lights that are close to 24-hour emergency services such as hospitals
- Lights next to pedestrian crossings and controlled junctions
- Lights next to sheltered housing premises
Lights that meet these criteria will stay on throughout the night.
To see maps of the areas where lights will remain on or be switched off, and to comment on the proposals, please visit these South Glos web pages:
South Glos are asking for comments on specific lights that should not be switched off because they fall into the categories above. They are NOT inviting comments on the council's part-night lighting policy overall - the decision to move has already been taken to move to part-night street lighting.
We'll let you know about the Yate and Dodington parish consultations when they come out.