Officers are aware that rogue traders are currently operating in the area and are offering to buy gold or jewellery or carry out, amongst other things, paving, roofing and gardening work. Reports suggest they are currently operating in Yate and Frampton Cotterell areas.
South Gloucestershire Council Trading Standards advise residents:
- Do not to deal with unexpected visitors at your door you do not know who they are or what their history may be.
- Do not allow any unknown and unexpected visitor into your home. If possible, try to deal with them through a window or use a door chain.
- Ensure your front and back doors are closed and locked if your attention is elsewhere.
- If you are unhappy or feel intimidated by the visitor – shut the door and call the police.
- If you think you or someone you know may have been targeted by scammers or rogue traders, please contact senior Trading Standards enforcement officer Neil Derrick on 01454 864565 or 07801 200104 as soon as possible.
For advice on this and other consumer matters, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06, Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm.